Sunday 9 May 2010

madeleine tea cakes.

It's mother's day~ though I really think we should be treating each day as such. Anyway, I decided to make madeleines for mom, though I didn't have a madeleine mold, so I just used a tea cake one a lovely friend gave me. If you're fortunate enough to have one of those molds, you can use that instead. I'll provide a recipe for actual teacakes in an up coming post.

Anyway, I bring you...


Madeleine [tea cakes] (adapted from The Food of France by Maria Villegas and Sarah Randell)

















We'll need:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (plus a bit of extra for dusting the pan)
8tbls unsalted butter (melted)
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp pure vanilla extract
zest of one large lemon and orange


Utensils:
mixing bowl
measuring spoons/cups
sieve
spatula
whisk (or an electric mixer)
tea cake or madeleine mold
pastry brush

>>preheat oven to 400F<<

~Brush the mold with 1tbls butter and coat evenly with flour, tapping out the excess. Set aside. In the mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is a pale yellow and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted. (I really suggest using an electric mixer because it's quite a workout if you do it by hand) Then, gently fold the flour into the egg mixture, followed by the remaining 7tbls of melted butter, vanilla extract, and zests.













~Fill the greased and floured mold with the batter, with a bit of room left for rising.












~Place in the oven and bake for about 15~20 minutes, until the edges are a light golden brown. Let cool for 5mins and remove the cookies from the mold.












~Serve with a light dusting of cinnamon or powdered sugar on top along with a steaming cup of tea or coffee, if you'd like.

Or you can give them to mom... 'cause she deserves it. :)


In addition to the cakes, I also drew her something. ~___~;; Though crappy as it is.

We'll here's to you mom. Thanks for everything... even if I don't show it, I am really grateful for all that you've done for me and especially bearing with me, though I can't really say that in front of you. . ___. I really wish this family's more open to self-expression and displays of affection. Ah well. Wouldn't trade you guys for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment